xml-general mailing list archives

From Edwin Goei <edwi...@sun.com>
Subject Re: [3rd party jar] crimson-ant, crimson-parser, jaxp
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 20:00:41 GMT
Vincent Hardy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Following Dirk's email on third-party jars we have addressed the license
> issues in Batik on third-party jars (which was the point of the email),
> not on jars coming from Apache code. Note that this only required moving
> and renaming the license that we already included for the only real
> 3rd party jar we have.
>
> This is why we have not added license/readme for crimson, ant and jaxp
> which come from Apache and we did not consider as 3rd party (we think
> of the various Apache projects as being part of the same family, not
> third party).
>
> About jaxp, the commiter who added it to the Batik repository pointed
> that the source code was available under the Apache license in
> xml-commons
> so an additional license seemed superfluous:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-commons/java/external/src/javax/xml/parsers/
>
> may be Edwin could tell us if we got the wrong impression.

There are different versions of Crimson.  Old versions used a jaxp.jar
binary from Sun that shipped w/ the Sun Binary Code License.  Newer
versions of Crimson use code from xml-commons that are under the ASF
license.  So the fix is to use a newer version of Crimson.  If the
reason you are using the old "jaxp.jar" is because of Ant, then you can
upgrade to a newer version of Ant that uses a newer version of Crimson.

BTW, I don't think anyone at Sun really cares that jaxp.jar is being
distributed by Apache, but the PMC does which is the reason for this
fire drill.

-Edwin