xml-general mailing list archives

From Christian Geuer-Pollmann <geuer-pollm...@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>
Subject Re: [3rd party jar] w3c
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:27:10 GMT

--On Dienstag, 5. Februar 2002 05:20 -0800 Andy Clark <andyc@apache.org>
wrote:

> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>> ...why don't we just store the uri where the required jar can
>> be found and let "ant" get those jars for us?
>
> For the same reason that I was opposed to changing the Xerces-J
> build to pull the xml-commons code from CVS: it requires a net
> connection to build the code. Plus, some of the URLs may require
> a user to register and/or accept some license agreement before
> downloading the package which would complicate the process of
> automating the download.
>
> So, licenses permitting, I would prefer to keep the jar files
> in the repository.

You're right, the requirement for a network connection is really bad. But -
I used this in the xml-security sub-project. I do load the cryptographic
service provider (the JCE imlementation) from a location outside the US (I
didn't want to put the cryptographic stuff onto the Apache site which is
inside the US), so the JCE is downloaded from Australia. In that particular
case, the people from the other project (http://www.bouncycastle.org) are
very helpful and support this behaviour.

Regards,
Christian