xml-general mailing list archives

From f...@ontosys.com
Subject Re: NekoHTML Parser License Change
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:47:04 GMT
Andy's NekoHTML parser has worked well for me in a small project where
I needed to scrape some data from a set of HTML pages.  With NekoHTML
as the front end I was able to use an XSLT stylesheet to extract that
data directly from the HTML pages.

NekoHTML also allowed me to write a simple HTML transformation that I
find useful when analyzing HTML page layouts:  adding a small colored
border to each TABLE so that the table boundaries are visible.  This
transformation requires only a few lines of XSLT added to a standard
"identity" transformation.

I expect that NekoHTML would make it easy to translate HTML code into
XHTML format.  I have encountered a few tag-balancing glitches, where
NekoHTML struggles to accommodate ill-formed HTML code much as the
popular browsers do, but overall it has been very solid.

NekoHTML is very easy to use.  For the most part it is a transparent
addition to a standard Xerces/Xalan configuration, and all the usual
APIs -- including JAXP -- seem to work as expected.

Nice work Andy.  Thank you for making NekoHTML available.

--
Fred Yankowski      fred@ontosys.com           tel: +1.630.879.1312
OntoSys, Inc	    PGP keyID: 7B449345        fax: +1.630.879.1370