xml-general mailing list archives

From Guillaume Rousse <rou...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
Subject Re: [3rd party jar] w3c
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:57:28 GMT
Ainsi parlait Shane Curcuru :
> ---- Torsten Curdt wrote: ----
>
> > > ...why don't we just store the uri where the required jar can
> > > be found and let "ant" get those jars for us?
>
> ---- you Andy Clark <andyc@apache.org> wrote ----
>
> > For the same reason that I was opposed to changing the Xerces-J
> > build to pull the xml-commons code from CVS: it requires a net
> > connection to build the code. Plus, some of the URLs may require
> > a user to register and/or accept some license agreement before
> > downloading the package which would complicate the process of
> > automating the download.
>
> In some ways I really have to side with Andy on this one.  Although I
> definitely understand some developer's wish to build everything
> directly from sources (i.e the argument to never have .jars in CVS),
> I'm also very concerned about the average user or new developer who
> just wants the stuff to work without having to jump through hoops to
> compile it or run it.
>
> Also requiring a net connection to do every build is a really bad idea
> IMO - there are plenty of valid reasons why folks might want to do work
> without the network.  This also goes for being cross-platform: we need
> to support users on Windoze as well as the unixes of the world so I
> think it is important to include .bat files in most cases where we have
> .sh scripts for bootstraps, etc.  (But that's a different issue...)
What about having each needed jar as a property, and have a setup task check
if those file are effectively present, and if not, downloading them for a
known location ?
This way, someone already having those jars locally just have to set those
properties on the command line, and someone not having them will
automatically download them ? Yes, it requires a net connection, but from
where did you get your initial source tarball anyway ?
--
Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html