xml-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: URGENT: 3rd Party jar's in apache CVS need immediate action.
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:20:07 GMT

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Kimbro Staken wrote:

> The issue raised was not a technical one, it was legal. Trying to put in a
> complex technical solution for it is overkill. The current mechanism works
> just fine in almost all cases. It may not be ideal, but so what; It still
> removes a lot more headaches then it creates.

The issue at hand is that there are several licenses involved:

->	The license under which the ASF developer got the code
->	The license under which the ASF got the code
->	The license under which the ASF re-distributes the code
->	The license under which the end user then uses this code.

For some licenses; such as the BSD or ASF style licenses - those four are
the same. For others; e.g. some of the Sun classes - you typically only
see the last license - and it prohibits redistribution. I.e. the ASF need
to ensure that they are authorized to re-distribute.

If this license is not granted by the owner - then the user will have to
procure the code from the source.

Technology makes this easier.

Dw