xml-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: URGENT: 3rd Party jar's in apache CVS need immediate action.
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:13:52 GMT

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Arved Sandstrom wrote:

> But one JAR that we use may be a problem; JIMI, covered under the Sun Binary
> Code License Agreement. We include the license - I just looked at it and
> although I grok not license-speak it looks dubious. Maybe you could produce
> a list of ASF-compatible licenses, and also a list of those which have
> specifically been found not to be OK. It'll help everyone out, including the
> PMC. Just an obscure URL will do the trick. :-)

At first glance I see the following issues in xml-fop:

lib/bsf.jar
	-> no license in sight (*)
	-> the actual license stipilates
	   that we should ensure that:
		-> there needs to be a (c) statement
		   in a conspicuous location.
		-> exclusion of liability
		-> pointer to the source code

I am not sure we do those three things.

lib/jini.jar
	-> there is a license.
	-> and it is 'fine' for an end user.

BUT - the problem is that we propably got the jar -under- this license.

I.e. there is one license under which you get code - and another under
which you redistribute. They -can- be the same - they can be different.

In the case if JNI this matters - as the license says:

1. LICENSE TO USE.  Sun grants you a non-exclusive and non-transferable
   license for the internal use only, ...cut...

2. RESTRICTIONS Software is confidential and copyrighted. Title to
   Software and all associated intellectual property rights is retained by
   Sun and/or its licensors. Exc ept as specifically authorized in any
   Supplemental License Terms, you may not make c opies of Software,
   other than a single copy of Software for archival purposes. Unles s
   enforcement is prohibited by applicable law, you may not modify,
   decompile, revers e engineer Software.

In other words - the ASF would need an supplemental license or some other
license to be able to re-distribute this jar. I do not think we have such
- though would have to check with Secretary to be sure.

Just to be clear - we can

-	Work with sun to get things like this.

-	Pending that should wack it asap.

-	And/or include a pointer to where to
	get this jar.

Dw

(*) This is not nessesarily a problem - the BSF license
    only insists on a copy of the license to be shipped
    if you ship the BSF code in source form. However for
    ASF purposes it is essential to have a license
    copy there.