xml-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: URGENT: 3rd Party jar's in apache CVS need immediate action.
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:55:32 GMT

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Arved Sandstrom wrote:

> Can you do us all a favour and post information about what is, and is not,
> an ASF-compatible license. This is not exactly easy to find.

I hope you did not expect an easy answer. Below are some guidelines.

->	When in doubt - ask. The pmc@ and then the board@ are the right
	places to go. They have access to legal resoures and can draw
	on expertize where needed.

	Plus ultimately - they are the ones who get blamed when the
	ASF gets the license wrong.

->	The core of the ASF is in a way the license - when you fetch
	a piece of code - you know what you get. No strongs attached.

->	Occasionally we have code (e.g. the regex library in httpd)
	which is sourced from somewhere else.  This is fine, provided
	that that code is:
	->	under a license. (Code without an explicit license
		is generally not redistributable).
	->	the license allows for re-distribution be the ASF
		through our CVS repositories, web sites and all
		the other ways the current ASF license allows for.
		i.e. no strings attached.
	->	the license allows for inclusion in our code
		and does not change what the current ASF license
		allows our users do do. Again - no strings
		attached there either.
	->	we adhere to all the small print in the license;
		i.e. post notice, list it in the documentation
		when required, include an  exact copy, etc, etc.

Note that none of the above prohibits the shipping of third party code in
non-source form, etc, etc. As long as the license allows it redistribution
and integration - and does not limit things further than the ASF license..
There are several (for example) IBM and SUN licenses which are not an
issue.

Dw