xml-general mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject [Xerces2] Stop the Release! -- ALL PROJECTS PLEASE READ
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:48:54 GMT
Just in case there is anybody on the planet that didn't get Andy's e-mail.
;-)

Once xerces2 is released, it is my intent to convert fully convert Gump
over to that release.  Warning to those that have not done the appropriate
preparation: expect incessent nagging until the work is complete.

As Andy suggested, responses should go to <xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org>.

- Sam Ruby

---------------------- Forwarded by Sam Ruby/Raleigh/IBM on 01/28/2002
01:44 PM ---------------------------

"Andy Clark" <andy@cyberneko.net> on 01/28/2002 01:43:19 PM

Please respond to xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org

To:    <xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org>, <batik-dev@xml.apache.org>,
       <security-dev@xml.apache.org>, <avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org>,
       <cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org>, <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>,
       <turbine-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
cc:
Subject:    [Xerces2] Stop the Release! -- ALL PROJECTS PLEASE READ

Okay, perhaps "Stop the Release!" is a little harsh but I wanted to get
your attention. ;)

After a long journey, Xerces 2.0.0 is scheduled to be released THIS
WEEK! Aren't you excited? I know I am. However...

I believe that there are still a few things that need to be straightened
out *before* we release. First are the changes I have listed in my
important is fixing (or getting a commitment to fix) the projects that
are still failing with the Xerces2 build as mentioned by Sam Ruby. Just
as a reminder, you can view the output of Gump using Xerces2 at the
following URL:

    http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/xerces2/

I looked at a few of the offenders and, for the most part, it is more of
a simple oversight than a problem with Xerces2. (e.g. importing
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser even though it no longer exists
and isn't even used in that source file.) This makes me feel better but
all of these reported failures are a big black eye that I would like to
be healed before we release.

Therefore, I would like an immediate response from the following
projects regarding status, planned fix, etc. so that we can move forward
with the Xerces 2.0.0 (NON-BETA!!!) release: (These are the project
currently reporting errors from the latest Gump run. If the problem has
already been fixed, please disregard this message.)

    xml-batik
    jakarta-turbine-torque
    jakarta-turbine-2
    jakarta-avalon-cornerstone
    jakarta-cactus-22
    jakarta-tomcat-4.0
    xml-security

If you are involved with any of these projects, please look into the
errors reported by Gump and either fix it, if you can, or tell the
Xerces-J team what is wrong with the version 2 parser. And if you choose
the latter, please make your bug report correct and complete. Thanks!

-AndyC

report status.