xml-general mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Axis and security (was: Forrest Layout 1.4)
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2002 10:59:25 GMT
Note: I'm cross posting to Axis dev.  Please continue the discussion there.

Christian Geuer-Pollmann wrote:

> I'm not an Apache SOAP/AXIS user, so it was hard for me to play around with
> these tools. I asked soap-user and soap-dev how I can directly access the
> soap message as a DOM tree to add a SOAP-SECURITY signature. Unfortunately
> no response. I want to add an example to xml-security how a SOAP message
> can be signed and this signature can be verified according to [1]. If there
> is someone out there who can show me how to create a simple SOAP msg using
> AXIS and how I can modify the resulting DOM tree, I'll provide this
> example. The only thing that stopped me was installing tomcat and all these
> things.

See:

   http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-axis/java/samples/message/

While the installation documents are written assuming you will be
targetting a servlet engine:

   http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/xml-axis/java/docs/install.html

... you can develop and debug using your classpath and a standalone
version:

   http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/xml-axis/java/src/org/apache/axis/transport/http/SimpleAxisServer.java

Note: while this is enough to get you started, the real problem to be
solved is a bit more involved.  See http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP-dsig/ .  What
you probably want to do is to define a handler.  An existing handler that
treats the message as a whole can be found at:

   http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/xml-axis/java/src/org/apache/axis/handlers/LogHandler.java

And while to choses to get the message as a string, you can also call the
getAsDOM method on the SOAPEnvelope:

   http://nagoya.apache.org/gump/javadoc/xml-axis/java/build/javadocs/org/apache/axis/message/SOAPEnvelope.html

If you would like to see what the finished result would look like, see:

   http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/webservicestoolkit/

- Sam Ruby