xml-general mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: URGENT: 3rd Party jar's in apache CVS need immediate action.
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:11:06 GMT
Kimbro Staken wrote:

> BTW, -1 to the whole idea. The issue raised was legal and easily solved by
> simply better detailing the source of the included jars.

That addresses the issue for most, but not all jars.  As an example:
http://www.webgain.com/products/java_cc/usage.html .  Take a look at the
last time in particular.  Pretty clear, eh?

There are a number of licenses out there that contain restrictions or
requirements that trigger on distribution.  The GPL and Sun's Binary Code
License are two.

For those jars, we need to either (1) find alternatives, (2) work with the
license holder, or (3) require each developer to obtain the code
themselves.

- Sam Ruby