xml-general mailing list archives

From "Arved Sandstrom" <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject RE: URGENT: 3rd Party jar's in apache CVS need immediate action.
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:19:13 GMT
Hi, Dirk

Can you do us all a favour and post information about what is, and is not,
an ASF-compatible license. This is not exactly easy to find.

Incidentally, buildtools.jar is a FOP-internal JAR; we build it ourselves.

But one JAR that we use may be a problem; JIMI, covered under the Sun Binary
Code License Agreement. We include the license - I just looked at it and
although I grok not license-speak it looks dubious. Maybe you could produce
a list of ASF-compatible licenses, and also a list of those which have
specifically been found not to be OK. It'll help everyone out, including the
PMC. Just an obscure URL will do the trick. :-)

Thanks,
Arved

-----Original Message-----
From: Dirk-Willem van Gulik [mailto:dirkx@covalent.net]
Sent: January 28, 2002 10:02 PM
To: general@xml.apache.org
Subject: URGENT: 3rd Party jar's in apache CVS need immediate action.

Proposed guidelines for jar import
	- and feel free to comment/fix - this is not so urgent.

-	Each import is reviewed and under the ASF license.

-	If this is not the case; i.e an alien license: it needs
	to be under an ASF compatible license. In this case - you
	must Cc: the pmc@xml.apache.org in on the fact that you are
	importing alien code. (Note Cc: - not get permission - that
	you get by getting +1's from the other commiters).