xml-general mailing list archives

From Kimbro Staken <ksta...@dbxmlgroup.com>
Subject Re: URGENT: 3rd Party jar's in apache CVS need immediate action.
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:58:54 GMT

On Monday, January 28, 2002, at 07:01 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> Could you folks get me an opinion ?
>
> 1.	Fixing the problem
>
> 	Option 1.1
> 		find . -name '*.jar' -exec rm {} \;
> 		in the next72 hours.
>
> 	Option 1.2
> 		Within the next 72 hours - each projects
> 		makes sure it's jar's adhere to the guidelines
> 		below. All others are zapped.

+1 for 1.2.

> Proposed guidelines for jar import
> 	- and feel free to comment/fix - this is not so urgent.
>
> -	Each import is reviewed and under the ASF license.
>
> -	If this is not the case; i.e an alien license: it needs
> 	to be under an ASF compatible license. In this case - you
> 	must Cc: the pmc@xml.apache.org in on the fact that you are
> 	importing alien code. (Note Cc: - not get permission - that
> 	you get by getting +1's from the other commiters).
>
> -	3rd party jars are to live in:
>
> 		<xml-project-name>/lib/foem.jar
>
> 	And there MUST be a file:
>
> 		<xml-project-name>/lib/README.foem.txt
>
> 	Containing information as to where this jar was sourced. If
> 	the license contained special clauses; such as an advertizing
> 	clause, etc - this document details how that clause was met.
> 	I.e.
> 		The Foem Jar converts Bayer patterns
>
> 		Sourced from http://www.webweaving.org -> foem
> 		on 2002-31-02 by Peter@duckling.org
>
> 		Note that there is also an advert/link in the
> 		docs (see docs/dependencies.html) to the site.
>
> 		See LICENSE.foem.txt and the web site for
> 		more information.
>
> 	And there MUST be a file with the license:
>
> 		<xml-project-name>/lib/LICENSE.foem.txt
>
> 	With the relevant name. I.e. they should match:
>
> 		xml-([\w\-\_]+)/lib/([\w\_\-\.]+).jar
> 		xml-([\w\-\_]+)/lib/README.([\w\_\-\.]+).txt
> 		xml-([\w\-\_]+)/lib/LICENSE.([\w\_\-\.]+).txt

How about making a directory under lib called licenses that contains the
associated files? Also how about including versions in the jar file names?

In Xindice we have a directory docs/licenses that contains the licenses
for included jars. With the exception of JUnit all the Xindice jars are
under either a BSD or Apache license. JUnit is an IBM license and should
probably be removed. Adding an associated README seems like a good idea to
better document where they came from.

> openorb	1.2.0
> 	xml-xindice
> openorb_tools	1.2.0
> 	xml-xindice
> junit7	3
> 	xml-xindice
> xmldb	20010924 .
> 	xml-cocoon2 xml-xindice
> xmldb-xupdate	.
> 	xml-xindice
> infozone-tools	.
> 	xml-xindice
> xmldb-sdk	.
> 	xml-xindice

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/