xml-general mailing list archives

From "Sedukhin, Igor" <Igor.Seduk...@ca.com>
Subject RE: Axis and security
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 23:25:50 GMT
Christian,

Your examples use SOAP-SEC (http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP-dsig/). There is also WS-Security (http://msdn.microsoft.com/ws/2001/10/Security/)
for doing exactly the same thing and more. I do not think there is a consensus as to what
is going to be widely used and neither is an accepted standard yet. It all depends on what
WS framework implementations prevail.

Also, and this is really the Axis drawback, assembling a signed SOAP message using DOM is
not the nicest thing to do. You could use envelope.addHeader(domElement), where domElement
represents the security header which is created in same doc as the envelope. That won't be
ideal either.

Axis has to provide methods to request all sorts of security work done on the client and process
it on the server side. Proper hooks have to be available to integrate frameworks such as xml-security.
In other words, ideally, I should be able to do this on the client:
 ServiceClient cli = ...
 cli.setCridentials(...
 cli.setIntegrity(...
 cli.setConfidentiality(...
 cli.invoke(...

The least what has to be done is to provide methods on SOAPEnvelope to create/modify/retrieve
security header information (derived from SOAPHeader and with added security semantics). It
just have to be decided whether it should be SOAP-SEC or WS-Security. I do not think there
is a JSR for this yet, so it is all Axis internal kitchen anyways.

AXIS Team, is anyone doing this right now or planning to do it? It looks like a very important
piece.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com)