xml-general mailing list archives

From Guillaume Rousse <rou...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
Subject Re: URGENT: 3rd Party jar's in apache CVS need immediate action.
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:36:35 GMT
Ainsi parlait Dirk-Willem van Gulik :
[..]
> The next step - fixing things can take more time:
>
> 2.	Getting our code to work again.
>
> 	Option 1.1
> 		Each project put's their jar's back in - but
> 		according to the guidelines below.
>
> 	Option 2.2
> 		We create a 'xml-third-party' repository for
> 		all the third party jar's. Following the
> 		guide lines below.
>
> 		So we keep all 3rd party and alien code in
> 		one place.
Option 2.3:
Don't import any jar back into the cvs, but fills a complete and exact
dependency list -)

Ok, not exactly what you're looking for, but at least it could open the
debate. Outside of java world, i never saw any binary in CVS. Instead there
are README files telling: you need libfoo-x.y.z and libbar-x.y.z to build
this soft.
Putting dependencies in CVS is nasty because:
- you make release tarballs biggers
- you end up with lots of duplicated files on your box
- you give headache to external people wanting to package the soft properly
for computing exact dependencies (but what version of foobar is this
foobar.jar exactly ?)
- you can't follow external dependencies evolutions, as you use a static one

So, why not profit of the big CVS clean-up to adopt more coherent practice ?
--
Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html