xml-general mailing list archives

From "Arved Sandstrom" <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: Forrest Layout 1.4
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2002 22:46:34 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Edwin Goei" <edwingo@sun.com>
To: <general@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2002 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: Forrest Layout 1.4

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > I received comments from people that wanted a list of sofware in
> > alphabetical order. Sam wants functionality grouping. You want community
> > grouping. Others might want importance grouping and somebody else
> > userbase size grouping.
> >
> > One size can't fit all, expecially in a mess like an apache project.
>
> I'm not saying I want community grouping.  I haven't thought about it
> enough to really have an opinion.  I just threw the idea out for people
> to consider.
>
> -Edwin

I missed this thread, I think.

I support functional grouping. It makes sense to me that visitors to the
site see a top-level classification according to what our software _does_.
Web-publishing, print-publishing, XML parsing, XSL processing, graphics, XML
database etc etc. Odds are pretty good that if they are looking for a
sub-project by name they already know what it does.

Alphabetical? Practically everything starts with X. :-) How would that work?

I don't discount anything else as useful _views_.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom