xml-general mailing list archives

From bur...@openprivacy.org (Kevin A. Burton)
Subject Re: [ANN] xml-commons-which: new Which utility to replace EnvironmentCheck
Date Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:39:54 GMT

Shane Curcuru <shane_curcuru@yahoo.com> writes:

> > ---- you burton@openprivacy.org (Kevin A. Burton) wrote ----
> > > Which is a General environment checking and version finding
> service.
> > <snip/> Just a humble suggestion.  Under *NIX the 'which' command is
> used for finding
> > the binary that would be executed if you were to execute the given
> command.
>
> Indeed, that's precisely why I called it that - I thought it was a pretty good
> Java analogy to the shell version.  *NIX which finds the binary you'll get if
> you say 'foo'; org.apache.env.Which finds the class you'll get if you say
> 'foo'.  Not the same thing, but then again commands in a shell are not the
> same thing as statements in Java.  8->

http://relativity.yi.org/classman/

I wrote it a few years ago...

Also supports a few more options:

classman (0.0.3):  Helps manage your classpath within Java

Syntax:

classman

    Prints out your current classpath in a readable manner

classman --find <CLASSNAME> [--all]

    Determines which entry in your classpath contains the given CLASSNAME.
    This can also be a package name.  --all specifies to dump all matching classes.

    EXAMPLE: classman --find java.lang.Exception

classman --findResource <FULL_CLASSNAME|RESOURCE>

    Runs ClassLoader.findResource on the parameter you provide.  This can be useful
    for finding a class or resource within your VM if you think there may be a conflict..

    EXAMPLE: classman --findResource java/lang/Exception.class

classman --packages <DIRECTORY>

    Determines the Java packages under the specified directory.

> Anyways, along with the fact it's in a different package, it's also 'Which' as
> opposed to 'which' so there shouldn't be any problem, unless you've aliased it
> on WinXX...

WinXXX??  I don't want to see what your screensaver looks like ;)..

> Any more comments on it's Java design or functionality?  I was hoping to keep
> it simple enough to finish in my odd hours but pluggable enough to use for
> most any xml or jakarta (or other) Java project.
<snip/>

I will take a look.

Kevin

- --