xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Forrest Layout version 1.3
Date Sat, 29 Dec 2001 15:07:08 GMT
Hi people,

I spent some time on the forrest layout and reached a layout that
appears promising.

The goals were:

1) visual coherence

2) simplicity

3) density of information, but without sacrificing readability

4) gives a proper graphical identity to the site

5) modular and extensible

6) impose the least possible limits to the nesting of the information

7) highly resizable (readable on 640x480)

8) color-blind friendly (luminance is associated with information, not

9) fast to download and to render (reduce graphics to the bare minimum)

10) high contract on content sections (black/white)

11) intuitive navigation up to the very last nesting level

12) media-specific formats (single-page|paginated|print-friendly)

13) made for newbies

You find the screenshots at

 home.gif ----> the site home page
 page.gif ----> a paginated page very deep in the nesting hierarchy

NOTE: the work is far from being done. there are a number of things that
are yet to do and I think the homepage still needs lots of work on the
software presentation area since I don't like the fact that crosses the
'fold' of the page (means that you have to scroll to see all the

Comments and suggestions will be very welcome.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.