xml-general mailing list archives

From Edwin Goei <edwi...@sun.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Design Rant
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 02:42:40 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> RESULT: I'm all for using CSS where it makes sense, but, unfortunately,
> it's not possible to completely avoid the use of HTML tables to drive
> presentation without missing incredibly common functionality such as
> coherently-resizable and horizontally-placed blocks.

I hope you will excuse my ignorance as I'm not an expert in this area.
However, I did read the following link which someone posted earlier:
http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/design_rant/.  I believe the
author's main point is that XHTML + CSS w/o tables should be used.  An
example of such a site is:
http://bluerobot.com/web/layouts/layout1.html, which renders fine in my
version of IE5 and Opera6 (but is degraded in NS4.7).  So it sounds like
you disagree with the article above.  Is this b/c you want to support
older browsers?

-Edwin