xml-general mailing list archives

From Tom Bradford <bradf...@dbxmlgroup.com>
Subject Re: xml-commons charter
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:29:03 GMT
Martin Stricker wrote:
> A repository of XML and XSL tools, maybe called "xml-tools", should be
> kept separate from xml-commons. I see xml-commons as a
> inter-xml.apache.org project, and a tool collection definitely would
> target more on users than on xml.apache.org subprojects. And if
> something from xml-tools becomes used by some xml.apache.org subprojects
> it always can be moved over to xml-commons.

I agree with this.  The reason we're using the xml-commons stuff is to
be sure that our DOM, SAX, and JAXP classes/interfaces will interoperate
smoothly with other projects.  Anything beyond that may be something
that we've duplicated or that we don't need, and should be kept part of
a separate project... Though, it would be nice if some of those common
utils could become part of an xml-tools project.

--
Tom Bradford - http://www.tbradford.org
Developer - Apache Xindice (formerly dbXML)