xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Accepting Entity Resolver Donation
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 21:13:55 GMT
Here's my:
+1
VOTE for adding Entity Resolver to the xml-commons project.

I suppose at some point we should count the actual number of
committer's votes (theoretically in the xml-commons project itself, to
be really strict) and decide that we are ready for this; then we'll
need to wait for Norman to get the code & licensing ready.

I'd propose it go into xml-commons/java/src/org/apache/xml/ or
...xml/utils, since it's a general-purpose thing for XML.  This mirrors
a couple of potentially cross-project xml utilities that Xalan already
has that someday might move to commons if appropriate.

Other notes:
- Should have minimal dependencies - I'm really hoping it only depends
on the stuff already in xml-commons: DOM/SAX/JAXP interfaces.
- Must use Ant to build.  I'd suggest xml-commons/java/resolver.xml as
a build file.  Later on we can create an overall
xml-commons/java/build.xml file for the whole project that can simply
call-through to the various little xmltilitys that xml-commons is
likely to comprise.

Obviously with the holidays this may not happen until next year, but it
does sound like a good idea.

Note: I also like the DOCTYPE changer tool Jeff keeps suggesting now
that I've thought about it.  It and the entity resolver are both
general-purpose xml 'widgets' that are useful in a variety of xml
applications.  Both have clear user value in multiple xml.apache.org
subprojects as you can see from FAQ's on the lists.  And both are
simple plug-ins using standard API's for existing xml projects.

- Shane

=====
<eof aka="mailto:shane_curcuru@us.ibm.com"
 .sig="Temporarily out to lunch"/>