xml-general mailing list archives

From Guillaume Rousse <rou...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
Subject Re: [xerces2] info about some packaging changes
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 17:02:28 GMT
Ainsi parlait Shane_Curcuru@lotus.com :
> ---- you Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr> wrote ----
>
> > If a 'full' xml api jar is provided, could we hope some consistent naming
> > convention with the servlet api, which is currently provided into
>
> servlet.jar?
>
> > Something such as:
> > xml.jar/servlet.jar
> > xmlapi.jar/servletapi.jar
> > xml-api.jar/servlet-api.jar
>
> Hmmm - I'm not quite sure what the connection is - who's servlet.jar are
> you talking about - I'm presuming Sun's?
Now that Tomcat is servlet specification reference implementation, it's more
jakarta's jar than sun's jar.
The connexion is: as they are both standard java extension api (javax
hierarchy), having similar naming scheme would have been useful.

> Also, we already hashed out the naming issue here on general@xml, and at
> this point it's really a deliverable from the xml-commons project so they
> should be the 'owners' of the apache version of this.  I don't remember the
> difference between xmlapis.jar and xml-apis.jar, but I do remember that we
> specifically avoided xml.jar since there are a number of old files named
> 'xml.jar' that have outdated DOM, etc. versions and it's too much of a
> headache to use the same name.
thus the need to include version in jar names, the same as libraries do in
real world (at least of unix world, of course).
--
Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html