xml-general mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Forrest (a.k.a. xml.apache.org 2.0)
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2001 01:48:43 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > > 3) layout
> > > ---------
> > >
> > > The layout previously proposed on this list was a solution to the speed
> > > problem but I couldn't adapt it to the depth needs identified in the
> > > rest of the goals.
> > >
> > > So, I resurrected my rusty web design skills and came up with the layout
> > > you find attached. I've tested it on IE 5.5, NS 4.78 and Moz 0.9.5 on
> > > win2k.
> > >
> > > Feedback, suggestions and criticisms are appreciated.
> >
> > This is really great that you have taken this on Stefano,
> > many thanks. We will all help where we can.
> >
> > I used "View source" to look behind-the-scenes and i see
> > that there are still tables embedded within tables embedded
> > within other tables. I think that this will again lead to troubles
> > on some browsers with the larger documents.
> >
> > I realise that there may be a need to use one table to achieve
> > the left-hand columns. However, i would like us to minimise the
> > need for embedded tables, especially in the main text panel.
>
> Minimization is the key. Mostly you can build the initial layout using
> three tables:
>
> +----------------------+
> !       HEADER         !
> +----------------------+
> +---+------------------+
> ! N !                  !
> ! A !                  !
> ! V !                  !
> ! - !  CONTENT  !
> ! B !                  !
> ! R !                  !
> ! R !                  !
> +---+------------------+
> +----------------------+
> !       FOOTER         !
> +----------------------+
>
> You can divide the HEADER and FOOTER table into more columns if needed.
> You can also divide the NAV-BAR table into more rows as needed. But then
> the CONTENT part is still where tables will be nested.
>
> IMO this is the most seedy and portable way to support even older
> browsers.
>
> Giacomo

The CONTENT column of the main table has been the real
worry in the past. This is where i have seen deeply embedded
tables used. I presume that Cocoon was doing it do achieve
the effect of fancy section headings with background colour
and corner images. I would like us to return to simple HTML
with <h*> headings and <blockquote> tags.

Even the NAV-BAR column can do without embedded tables
by using <ul> lists (see the Avalon website).
--David