xml-general mailing list archives

From <...@corrosive.co.uk>
Subject Re: New website stylesheet alpha available
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2001 15:45:08 GMT
At 4:03 PM -0800 11/19/01, Theodore W. Leung wrote:
>1. I can't figure out how to get the style of the selected nav bar
>item to be correct

the class "nav" is only applicable to links.
you can create a different class for the selected nav bar item (maybe
"navsel"?) that has to have the same setting as for "nav" apart from
the "color":

.navsel  { font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:
smaller; color: #000000; }

At 4:03 PM -0800 11/19/01, Theodore W. Leung wrote:
>2. If you click on guidelines you'll see that the table for the
><notes> stylebook element messes up the nav bar

found it! there's a missing <TD></TD> in the "content table":

[...]<TD bgcolor="#ffffff" colspan="2" rowspan="3"
valign="top"><BR><TABLE border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"
width="100%"><TR>
   <BR><DIV class="head">The xml.apache.org Project Guidelines</DIV>
     <P>
       This document defines the guidelines [...]

[...]

       [...] there as needed
     </P>

</TR>

At 4:03 PM -0800 11/19/01, Theodore W. Leung wrote:
>3. I'm not sure how to grab xml.apache.org for use in the block top
>title bar and the xml.apache.org > news indicator

the title "xml.apache.org" on the home page can be replaced by
"Welcome", to follow the nav bar. this, after all, is the page title
(talking of which, <TITLE></TITLE> is missing...), so "News",
"Mission", "Guidelines", etc... we're using text to make the handling
simpler and to not rely on images.

what I've used in other projects is PHP, setting variables for each
page that indicate primary, secondary, etc..., levels and print the
path accordingly, but I don't know if that's a route you may want to
consider. I'm sorry I don't have other suggestions, although dropping
the "xml.apache.org > news" bit won't affect the overall design.
as somebody said, it was a good thing to have, though.

At 10:05 AM +0100 11/20/01, Ludovic Maitre wrote:
>Have you tried the website under Netscape 4.7/Solaris ? the fonts of
>the leftside menu are very small. But it's more quick that the old
>website.

I've checked it with NC4.7 on Mac and Win: the fonts are small, but
still readable, better than when I tried imposing sizes in pt or px.
is it unreadable on yours?

--

Max Guglielmino
Corrosive