xml-general mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Crossreference info (was: WASP Lite on Apache?)
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:48:47 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Now, imagine a newcomer getting into xml.apache.org: how in hell is
> she/he going to find out
> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/xref.html?

Long term plans are to make gump a full fledged subproject of Jakarta - all
that remains is to bootstrap a development community.  As it stands now,
everytime I am distracted by other things, I see Gump results suffer
measurably.  :-(

Once this happens I do intent to fully advertise it. Meanwhile, you will
find the URL I mentioned above can be gotten to by two mouse clicks from
the page you mentioned.  Or from Jakarta's web site.  At the moment, the
same is even true about www.apache.org.

> Please, for the new site, let's try to make it "usable", not just dense
> of information.

That information was produced by a single, and relatively straightforward
stylesheet.  The source can be found at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump/stylesheet/xref.xsl

.

> Sam: sorry for appearing somewhat harsh on this, but your comment
> sounded to me a lot like those famous one-liner comments that irritate
> people rather than giving some information to them.

My only intent was to say that the raw data is present.  Now I've added a
direct pointer to the place where potential improvements can be made.  Let
me add an open invite to anybody who cares to contribute, and a suggestion
that they join me on the alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org mailing list.
Anything else I should add?  ;-)

Stefano: as you well know, harsh comments don't irritate me.  People not
talking or working together does.  A prime example at the moment can be
found at http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/2001-11-21/xml-cocoon2.html
.

- Sam Ruby