xml-general mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <a...@manes.net>
Subject RE: [POLL] WASP Lite on Apache?
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 02:54:33 GMT
Stefano,

I'm pleased that you think it's a good thing.

We first thought of submitting WASP Lite to Axis, but after consideration
determined that this approach would be too disruptive and technically
challenging. WASP Lite is a complete code base, and it would be very
difficult to attempt to merge this code base with the Axis code base. Any
merger attempt would significantly delay both projects. We don't want to
disrupt the Axis project.

At the same time we think that the open source community will definitely
benefit from WASP Lite. We think that a separate project is the better way
to go. Over time Axis and WASP Lite are likely to share code. Perhaps the
projects might eventually converge.

This wouldn't be the first time we've had competing projects at Apache
(Crimson/Xerces/Xerces2 comes to mind). I think it just goes to show that
the community is very interested in the technology.

Regards,
Anne

   <snip>