xml-general mailing list archives

From Kimbro Staken <ksta...@dbxmlgroup.com>
Subject Re: website++: some ideas...
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2001 11:12:12 GMT
Design 2 looks pretty clean and professional. How many graphics are
required to realize it?

Also, is there a firm requirement to have all projects listed in the side
bar of the page? That list has to be really confusing to people visiting
for the first time.  In fact I'd almost say the current website is hostile
to people who don't already know what they're looking for. Maybe this has
already been suggested but it seems a simple project link that goes to a
page where things can be better broken down and classified might be better.
  The project page could then make things clearer by breaking down
something like this.

XML Parser
	Description of what it is and why there are two available.

	Xerces
		Short blurb on why you'd use Xerces
		Java 1 and 2 with description of why both are significant.
		C++
		Perl

	Crimson
		Short blurb on why you'd use crimson

XSL-T Processor
	Xalan
		Java
		C++

Publishing
	Cocoon
	FOP
	Xang? Not sure where this belongs

Web Services
	SOAP
	Axis
	UDDI

XML Database
	Xindice

Graphics
	Batik

Security
	XML Security

Each section and each individual project should have a short blurb about
what it is, why you would use it and especially why there is more then one
project to do the same thing in some areas. At the top of the page you can
have links to each of the sections.

Another possibility if we still wanted more detail in the side bar, would
be to provide links based on the categories rather then project names.

On Thursday, November 1, 2001, at 03:43 AM, <max@corrosive.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Following Ted's email, I've sketched some Photoshop screens of possible
> designs for the site. They can be viewed at
> http://www.corrosive.co.uk/xml_apache_org/presentation/
>
> Could you please let me know your comments?
>
> I should add some comments of mine:
> - all the designs are intended to use a minimum of graphics and rely on
> CSS for styling
> - all the designs will be implemented to take 100% of the available space
> on the browser window (please resize yours around the images for better
> viewing)
>
> Looking forward to hear your comments
>
> Thanks
> Max