xml-general mailing list archives

From Edwin Goei <edwi...@sun.com>
Subject Re: [xerces2] info about some packaging changes
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 02:27:12 GMT
Shane_Curcuru@lotus.com wrote:

> [snip]
> I.e. to me the point is that we're agreeing to ship *stable*
> externally-defined standards-based files in a jar named xml-apis.jar.  Any
> other files a project wants to use should go in their implementation jar,
> or somewhere else; and the xml-apis.jar should always include it's full
> contents, and should match very closely (except for last-minute bugfixes)
> the same code as in xml-commons.
>
> Am I making any sense?  Does anyone else agree with me?  (Note, they're
> separate questions!)  One other important issue is we should have some
> manifest packaging expert help us all implement some better documented and
> finely-grained versioning info in our manifests; I've started in
> xml-xalan/java/src/MANIFEST.MF but it needs updating and I'm not sure I've
> gotten it quite right yet.

I think there are some more involved issue here.  JAXP APIs involve both
a parser and XSLT processor so there needs to be some coordination
between projects which may be difficult to achieve so that a single
xml-apis.jar file from xml-commons can be produced.  As it is now, it
looks like Xalan has an xml-apis.jar file but it only contains the
javax.xml.transform classes.

Also, there are issues w/ which version of the standard to include in
xml-apis.jar.  I posted some emails on this on xerces-j-dev recently and
about whether to support the latest versions of standards or some people
want ones that are J2EE 1.3 compatible, for example.

I don't have any answers, though.

-Edwin