xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] WASP Lite on Apache?
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 23:00:08 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Anne Thomas Manes wrote:
> >
> > WASP Lite for Java is a Web services framework developed by Systinet that
> > supports SOAP 1.1, WSDL 1.1, and XML Schema 1999/2000/2001. Details,
> > including binaries and documentation, can be found at
> > http://www.systinet.com/products/wasp_lite/index.html.
> >
> > The product is currently distributed under a free commercial binary license.
> > It has a large user base, many of whom have requested that we make the
> > source available. A number of companies and individuals have expressed
> > interest in contributing to the development of this code.
> >
> > The code has been developed using a modular approach, which should make it
> > relatively easy for others to get comfortable with the code, and which
> > should allow easy sharing of code with the SOAP and Axis projects.
> >
> > We would like to submit this proposal to the members of the Apache XML
> > project for consideration of accepting this donation as a sub-project.
> >
> > Thank you very much for your attention to and consideration for this
> > proposal.
> >
> > We look foward to your questions, comments, or concerns.
>
> +1
>
> Two of the developers are already committers on Axis.  I am looking forward
> to increased synergy and participation.

This is indeed a good thing.

Now, a technical question: we already have two projects which have a
pretty high overlap (SOAP and Axis). Why do we need another one? Can't
this "WASP lite" be donated as directly to Axis instead of creating yet
another project on webservices?

I admit my total ignorance on the problems and this is why I'm asking
without stating a vote, but it looks to me that we don't need more
subprojects for web services and if this was the case, I would like to
treat them as "internal" competing branches, rather than external
subprojects.

So, please, enlighten me.

Thanks.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.