xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] ebXML Reg./Rep. on Apache?
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 11:40:11 GMT
Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> Theodore,
>
> On the contrary I feel that there is a strong community ready to roll up their sleeves
> and start on this project full steam.

Good.

> I have the following folks who have contacted me
> regarding their desire to be active members of the OASIS ebXML Registry RI community:
>
>     Farrukh Najmi <Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM> - Sun Microsystems
>     Nikola Stojanovic <nikola.stojanovic@encodasystems.com> - Encoda Systems
>     Sanjay Patil <SPatil@iona.com> - IONA
>     Suresh Damodaran Suresh_Damodaran@stercomm.com - Sterling Commerce
>     Jeff Benjamin <jbenjamin@ivertexo.com> - Ivertexo
>     Pae Choi <paechoi@earthlink.net> -
>     Joel Neu <jneu@vitria.com> - Vitria Technology
>     Joseph Okomba <Okomba@kabage.co.ke> - Kabage
>     Maimoona Mollah <mmollah@ggn.aithent.com>

Awesome.

> It should also be noted that 5 of the above commiters are authors of the OASIS ebXML
> Registry specifications.

Good for you, so they know what they will be doing and users will
appreciate that.

> I am not sure that I would interpret that as a low level of interest.

Your proposal generated a "low level of interest" between Apache
committers. This is a fact.

> I would be grateful if someone can explain the process and criteria Apache uses to
> make a decision
> on whether the project is accepted or not as a sub-project in XML project. What is the
> magic number of committed
> community members that sways the decision?

It's easy: you need a working codebase (something that users can play
with as the project starts), at least two developers from different
entities (three is preferred since it's odd and adds on votations) and
an Apache member that sponsors the project.

You are missing the sponsoring member that is willing to sponsor you and
provide the community leadership required to bootstrap the project.

But definately don't count on me for that.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.