xml-general mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: website++: some ideas...
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2001 14:57:49 GMT
max@corrosive.co.uk wrote:

> Hi
>
> Following Ted's email, I've sketched some Photoshop screens of
> possible designs for the site. They can be viewed at
> http://www.corrosive.co.uk/xml_apache_org/presentation/
>
> Could you please let me know your comments?
>
> I should add some comments of mine:
> - all the designs are intended to use a minimum of graphics and rely
> on CSS for styling
> - all the designs will be implemented to take 100% of the available
> space on the browser window (please resize yours around the images
> for better viewing)
>
> Looking forward to hear your comments

I like the overall look of these sites, and prefer version 3 as it looks
better.  However, the following criticisms can hopefully help the site
as a whole:

* The concept of Right Hand and Left Hand navigation bars force the use
  of complex tables.  As a result, the text does not reflow easily.
  Try using a two row horizontal navigation menu instead.  The first
  row has the major headings, and the bottom row has all the sub headings:

  Main Headings:
    Home  Projects  Distribution Info  Getting Involved   People  Contact Info

  SubHeadings:
    Home:
      Home  News  Mission  Guidelines
    Projects:
      Xerces Java 1  Xerces Java 2  Xerces C++  Xerces Perl  Xalan Java 2
      Xalan C++  FOP  Cocoon 1  Cocoon 2  Xang  SOAP  Batik  Crimson  Axis
      XML Security
    Distribution Info:
      Downloads  Bug Database
    Getting Involved:
      Get Involved  Repositories  Mailing Lists  Reference
    People:
      Who We Are  Credits
    Contact Info:
      Legal Stuff  Contact Info

    With all the menu stuff at the top, it still feels natural, but the site
    feels more organized and the content is most emphasized.

* The cloud background behind xml.apache.org may be a bit much.  If it is
  easily tiled, then it might be worth exploring--but it looks like one large
  graphic.

* I LOVE the navigation status bar (xml.apache.org > home).  This is a must
  have.

> Thanks
> Max
> --