xml-general mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <d...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Merging soap, axis, wasp, and wsdl communities.
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:49:41 GMT
--- Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Goal 1: achieve a single active SOAP implementation.

+1. The earlier we merge Wasp and Axis Dev community and get them to work on one codebase
the
better.

> Goal 2: grow a larger "web services" community building upon this common
> code base

+1. We need to target the web services protocol stack (UDDI/ebXML/WSDL etc...).

>    Like avalon, turbine, tomcat, and ant; we can and should organize
>    separate code bases which build upon this common base into
>    "sub-sub-projects".
>
>    If it is felt that the name "axis" is too prejudicial, then by all means
>    lets rename the project.  But when all is said and done, the name we
>    come up with should (1) be the name of the common soap code base that we
>    all participate in, and (2) should be the name of the common -dev
>    mailing list that defines the community.
>
>    One thing I want to specifically call out here: just as xml.apache.org
>    subprojects are not artificially limited in scope to only support Apache
>    XML parsers or Apache XSLT processors, sub-sub-projects of whatever
>    common name we come up with will not be limited to only supporting this
>    soap stack.

> disagree over technical issues, but over time the code base with the
> largest active development community will attract both the largest
> mindshare and marketshare.

+1000. The more varied the representation, the better chances of community succeeding.

> At this point, I'd like to suggest that discussions continue on axis-dev.
> These discussions can include coming up with a new name, contributions of
> fragments or complete soap implementations, and contributions of code bases
> which build upon a soap stack...

Thanks a ton Sam for initiating discussion on such an important issue.

=====