xml-general mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertdon...@mac.com>
Subject Re: JAXP (in)compatability between Xerces and Crimson
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2001 18:19:35 GMT
"Andy Carlson" <andyslistbox@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just spent quite a while tracking down a weird problem...
>
> I'm running a servlet under Tomcat 4.0. The servlet includes Axis, which
> in this case is using the Xerces (1.4.3) parser. Everything works fine -
> no problem so far...
>
> Now I try to run the same servlet on Tomcat 4.0 embedded in JBoss (2.4.1)
>  and I get the following:-
>
> java.lang.ClassCastException:
> org.apache.crimson.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl
> at
> javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance
> (DocumentBuilderFactory.java:152)

this is quite a well known problem. it boils down to classloaders.

standalone tomcat 4.0 works because it has classloaders specially
rewritten to work with JAXP.
jboss uses a different system of classloaders and requires special
configuration to make JAXP work.
the bad news is that some ejb containers are even worse than jboss...

<snip>

> So what's the answer?
>
> - at the moment the answer seems to be to avoid mixing Crimson and Xerces
> in the same context unless you have a very good understanding of how they
> are going to interact with each other - you might get away with it or you
> might (like me) spend a long time chasing strange problems.
>
> ... but this is bad news because it means that if my servlet uses an XML
> parser, I have to check whether the app server I'm deploying on is using
> another one in a way which is going to cause a conflict.
>
> - For the future it would seem to be a better approach to agree on a
> single implementation of JAXP within Apache, put it in its own JAR and
> explicitly disallow (in the JAXP spec?) XML parser implementations from
> reimplementing all or part of JAXP in their own JARs.

this isn't an apache problem - it's a JAXP problem.
even with only one apache implementation you'd still get version conflicts
:(

if you want deployment independence i'd say you've got two choices:

1. throw away JAXP and directly use the parser of your choice. parser
independence is vital for components but isn't really necessary if you're
writing a web application.

2. don't deploy any parser libraries with your application and insist that
JAXP is correctly set up on the deployment system before you deploy.

- robert