xml-general mailing list archives

From Peter Kacandes <Peter.Kacan...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [POLL] ebXML Reg./Rep. on Apache?
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 18:15:30 GMT
Dear Apache XML Community Members,

First off, I want to thank you all for your time and effort in consideration of
our project proposal.

It seems pretty clear, however, that the requirements for gaining acceptance as
an Apache project have not been met, and for good reason.

I fully understand and agree with the condition that there should be an active
community in place around a project. This presented a bit of a catch 22 for us
since we could not share the code base widely until we found a home for it.

We had initially intended to start a regular open source project, but thought we
might give Apache a first crack at it because we believe that the goals of ebXML
align strongly with those of Apache and that the XML registry/repository project
in particular has a great deal of synergy with other Apache XML projects.

I think that the best thing for us to do at this point is to get our project
started elsewhere. Depending on how it goes, then perhaps at somepoint in the
future we can revisit the issue if both communities think it advantageous.

We will let you know as soon as the code base is available in another open
source forum. At that point, we would certainly welcome the participation of any
Apache community members, whether committers or not.

Again, our sincere thanks for your consideration of the project. I have high
hopes that we may be able to work together on this project at some point in the
future.

regards

pk

Peter Kacandes

Sr. Product Manager, Java XML APIs	phone number: 	408 276 7139, X17139
Java Software Products 			email:	peter.kacandes@sun.com