xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xml-apis was RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant build.xml
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:21:22 GMT
On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Edwin Goei <edwingo@sun.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure I agree, I'd argue to not use xml-apis.jar.  For one
> thing, it may make it more difficult to debug problems b/c a failure
> may occur b/c of code in a particular version of xml-apis.jar or in
> the implementation jar file.

This is why I asked for a released version of that JAR.  That way we
could always say Ant release X.Y contains xml-apis.jar version U.V.
If there is no released version, I'd probably veto adding an arbitrary
snapshot to Ant distributions.

> For example, Xerces plans to implement drafts of DOM L3 so they may
> need a version of xml-apis.jar that contains those classes.

Break that JAR into several JARs?

> For crimson, here is the way I think it should work...  There should
> be only a single jar file: crimson.jar that contains everything:
> both implementation and API classes.

I've done so for Ant's CVS version, that is what made Stephane start
the thread 8-) - prior to that we had Crimson 1.1.1 and the
corresponding jaxp.jar.  Stephane wants to add xml-apis.jar to get the
transformation part of JAXP as well (the interfaces only, so that we
can compile the optional parts of Ant that depend on TraX).

> I noticed that Ant uses an older version of crimson that has
> jaxp.jar.

This has been the latest release of crimson when Ant 1.4 has been
released and I think Conor simply missed the 1.1.3 release of
Crimson.  Ant's CVS has been updated.

Stefan