xml-general mailing list archives

From Robert Stuart <Robert.Stu...@NFER-NELSON.co.uk>
Subject RE: [Vote] XML Database Project Name
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:52:39 GMT
Xilo - pronounced as Silo, as in repository?
(IIf it has not been used elsewhere.)

I must admit, I quite like "Xintian", but feel we should aim for gender
neutral names.

Robert Stuart

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Clark [mailto:andyc@apache.org]
Sent: 31 October 2001 04:14
To: general@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Vote] XML Database Project Name

Martin Stricker wrote:
> BTW Xindice looks ridiculous and seems to be unpronauncable...

I have the same opinion but I'm staying out of it because
[snip]

How about "Xindy"? Pronounced like "Cindy", of course. I
think it's cool to give a project a female name and it
sort of suggests "XML index" when I look at it.

And in the area of names, a lot of Chinese names start
with an 'X'. For example, I once had a Chinese student
with a cool name: "Xintian". I had to have her pronounce
it for me the first time I saw it written but I think I
remember it sounding something like "sin-tea-in" or
perhaps "shin-tea-in". (Any Chinese or Chinese speaking
developers out there that can correct me?)

I'm only suggesting these if you want to stick with
something with an 'X' for XML. But there's nothing that
says it *has* to have a token 'X' in the name...

[snip]