xml-general mailing list archives

From Robert Stuart <Robert.Stu...@NFER-NELSON.co.uk>
Subject RE: [vote] A native XML database project under Apache
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 07:45:00 GMT
Any XML document, by definition, must be represented by a tree structure.
This means that, for all valid XML documents have a clearly defined
structure.

Tree structures map, very naturally, into relational databases (pun not
intended).
For the rest of this note, any reference I make to a database (db), assume I
mean a relational database.

XML documents may (optional) have meta-data associated with them (DTD, or
XSD).  This meta-data would simplify the design of a db, giving the
relationship between tables - allowing us to populate the db structure as a
document is received.  (Note: this is a bi-directional operation, the
meta-data in the db may be used to generate a DTD/XSD).

The meta-data would not be essential in db design.

I think I'd like to come on board with this one, how do I become a
committer?

Cheers

Robert Stuart