xml-general mailing list archives

From Henning von Bargen <H.vonBar...@triestram-partner.de>
Subject AW: [vote] A native XML database project under Apache
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 06:56:46 GMT
+1 from me (but I'm not a committer).
It is something we all need.

But besides discussing a name for it,
it should be clarified what the project goals are.

For example:

Do we want a 100% pure Java solution?
 I like Java, but I like the Apache HTTP Server as well.
 Maybe some low-level routines (caching, I/O, Parsing) could be
 implemented in C using the existing Apache framework including SSL
 for the sake of performance.
 Using the existing Apache C framework could have some benefits.
 Roughly spoken, a database server is not too different from a web server:
 It receives requests from many clients and services them.
 The communication between clients and server needs to be secure.
 The main difference is:
 A web server usually returns a file from the file system to answer a
request,
 whereas a database server reads and manipulates the database storage
system.

Do we want the database to have all the features that
full blown-up database servers like (just for example) Oracle 9i have:
- transactions
- automatic recovery after crashes
- clustering with cache sharing
or do we just want (to keep it simple)
only a single-process database running on a single server
with no transactions and no recovery options?

I am am not an expert, but the part that seems to
be most interesting (and difficult) for XML databases
is effective storage and indexing.
I expect several new ideas to come up in that topic in the next few years.
Thus, the database should be quite flexible in the implementation
of storage and indexing.

Henning