xml-general mailing list archives

From Martin Stricker <shu...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL-strawman] xml-commons source usage in other projects
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2001 02:03:47 GMT
Shane Curcuru wrote:

> The copies checked into the individual projects are 'backup' files,
> for the case where a lazy developer who checks out only the
> xml-yourproject module wants to do a build.  In the past, some folks
> have complained about having to checkout extra repositories to build
> their own project.
>
> If everyone can agree on having to checkout xml-commons before being
> able to build from their own checkedout module, then we don't need to
> bother with the extra copies.

Yeah, right, it's quite a change. I'm so used to always checkout our
common repository I tend to forget not everyone is, sorry. We
implemented the common repository from the beginning, so there never
happened a change. At work we have made a script called "build" which
takes the name(s) of the project(s) as arguments, does the checkouts and
than builds everything.

I thought of one possible disadvantage of a commons repository: Back
when we set up our common at work once a developer fixed something in
common which then broke all other projects depending on the old version.
Therefore alterations to commons now must be approved by a
representative of each project. Dunno how this should be handled here
(since here there is mostly foreign code which isn't very likely to be
changed), but you might think about it.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker