xml-general mailing list archives

From Edwin Goei <edwi...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Dirlayout
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:00:30 GMT
Donald_Leslie@lotus.com wrote:

> I see no reason for dist/. This is not in the repository and the user gets
> it by downloading and expanding the distribution. Likewise not reason for a
> separate docs/ tree somehow distinct from the website. If the distributed
> doc is different, the user gets it by downloading and expanding the binary
> distribution file, or by downloading the source distribution and running a
> build.

My take on dist, is that it is used for development.  For example,

  + you make a change in a *.java file
  + ant jar
  + test change with dist/<project>.jar in your classpath

I guess an alternative would be to mix the exported "<project>.jar" with
the other intermediate temporary files under the "build" directory so
you would have "build/<project>.jar" on your classpath.  I like the idea
of having a separate directory for an image of what will be exported in
a binary distribution for development testing, but I'm not sure whether
I like the name "dist" b/c it may be confusing.  But then I don't have
an alternate proposal, either, so maybe the name is OK.

-Edwin