xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] A native XML database project under Apache
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:33:20 GMT
"Kevin A. Burton" wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> writes:
> <snip>
> > Kimbro and I have been talking about "Apache BooBoo", but that is just
> > the first name that crossed my mind :) If you have better names, please,
> > let us discuss this publicly if the deal gets approuved.
>
> BooBoo is too close to bonobo which is a GNOME component model.
>
> Also.. at least in the US, a "booboo" is not a very powerfull word.  It is
> generally how a small child would describe a small cut or broose...

Gosh, people, it was supposed to be ironic :) Of course, I would not
propose that name.

> > It might takes years to have something solid enough to compete with big
> > commercial names, but it is important, IMO, for Apache to have something
> > to say even on this front by creating a community and attracting people
> > and their ideas.
> <snip>
>
> Also.  What about other approaches. AKA the Exist project uses relational
> database systems to provide a persistence layer for XML.  I think this is a
> solid and logical approach.

I don't, but this is just my personal opinion. It appears elegant from a
strictly mathematical point of view but becomes impractical when put in
production (I know this for experience)

> If this project does well does this mean that the Apache project wouldn't accept
> it because we would already have had an XML db project?

No.

I'm simply proposing the creation of a subproject to back up the
creation of a native XML db solution because I think this is the way to
go.

But I'm *NOT* proposing to throw out other proposals since I might find
myself wrong in the future (as I did several times in the past).

Apache is committed to diversity and I couldn't change that even if I
wanted.

And I don't want that!

Stefano.