xml-general mailing list archives

From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: [Vote] XML Database Project Name
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2001 03:07:06 GMT
At 03:34 PM 10/31/01 +0100, jean-guillaume.battaglia@inexware.fr wrote:
>Perhaps it's a newbie question but :where do the names for the other XML
>projects come from ? Perhaps we could find an homogenic way to name
>projects.

Fop was started by James Tauber; the name is not an acronym (although FOP
conveniently can be taken to mean Formatting Object Processor). XSL is about
style, and a "fop" is a person who is preoccupied with style, hence
the name. I believe that Chris Maden is the person who came up with this.

The name was picked well before Fop was presented to Apache XML.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom