xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL-strawman] xml-commons source usage in other projects
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:03:50 GMT
---- you Martin Stricker <shugal@gmx.de> wrote ----
> Ummm, maybe I'm just too stupid, but why should all the projects keep
> copy of their xml-commons code if it already is in xml-commons?
Please
> enlighten me since I get the feeling that this approach obsoletes
> xml-commons.

Well, it's obviously a choice up to the individual projects; this was
just a suggestion to get started, and how Xalan plans to implement this
currently.

Yes, I recognize that this would be code duplication and a generally
bad thing for maintenance, etc.; but I tend to be more careful with
ease-of-use issues than most of the community seems to be.

The copies checked into the individual projects are 'backup' files, for
the case where a lazy developer who checks out only the xml-yourproject
module wants to do a build.  In the past, some folks have complained
about having to checkout extra repositories to build their own project.

If everyone can agree on having to checkout xml-commons before being
able to build from their own checkedout module, then we don't need to
bother with the extra copies.

- Shane

=====
<eof aka="mailto:shane_curcuru@lotus.com"
 quote="A mirror is like a window on the other side of behind you."/>