xml-general mailing list archives

From Sergio Carvalho <sergio.carva...@acm.org>
Subject Re: [vote] A native XML database project under Apache
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2001 12:24:06 GMT
On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 01:00:42 +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:
From: Martin Stricker <shugal@gmx.de>
--

> +1 for the general idea (but I'm not a committer), *but* before we can
> really vote we'll have to get several things clear (others already
> mentioned a lot of them).
>
> My personal opinion about the programming language: C/C++! Java is far
> too slow. But the database must have built-in APIs for C/C++, Java,
> Perl, Python and Tcl/Tk, maybe more.

Unless backed by strong testing, I always take the 'XYZ language is too slow'
with a grain of salt. In this case (Java), I have personally been happily
surprised with Java, its speed, scalability and stability in a recent Cocoon 2
deployment.

I have no personal opinion on the subject of the implementation language for
dbXML, but wouldn't discard the existing codebase without a very strong reason.

--
Sergio Carvalho