xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:30:49 GMT
Huh? I'm not sure what you mean.  The JAXP specification is effectively
a bunch of interfaces that anyone can implement (along with the rest of
the docs, etc.).  Apache happens to have several implementations of
JAXP 1.1: Crimson, Xerces 1.x, Xerces 2.x, and Xalan 2.x - because we
already had the products and it's a good thing to support standards
like this.  Sun then happend to choose to re-ship their own versions of
Crimson and Xalan as the 'reference implementations' of the actual JAXP
1.1 release - which is actually pretty cool that they chose our
implementations over other ones.  And the defaults, both in the code
Apache uses and that Sun uses, both point to Crimson and Xalan anyway.

Or am I missing something in your comment?
-Shane

---- you "Isaac Shabtay" <ishabtay@netvision.net.il> wrote ----
Hi, javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory is supposed to search for
the
factory implementation in some places.
The last place to look for is:
========= START QUOTE ==========
Platform default DocumentBuilderFactory instance.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this line didn't appear in JAXP
specification, everyone could use sun's implementation for JAXP, right?
Nowadays, Apache has to write its own implementation to JAXP, in order
hard-code our "platform default factory instance".

=====
<eof aka="mailto:shane_curcuru@lotus.com"
 quote="Odo:   [You'd shoot a man in the back?]
        Garak: [Well, it's the safest way, isn't it?]"/>