xml-general mailing list archives

From Kimbro Staken <ksta...@dbxmlgroup.com>
Subject Re: [vote] A native XML database project under Apache
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:20:06 GMT
How well does this work in actual relational products? People like Fabian
Pascal and CJ Date have been widely critical of relational vendors for
failing to adequately implement the relational model. In my experience
while in theory this may be possible in practice it doesn't quite work as
well as  you might like.

On Friday, October 19, 2001, at 01:04 AM, Robert Stuart wrote:

> Relational database theory derives from set theory.  (EF Codd circa 1980)
>
> A tree structure may be viewed as a set of branches each containing a set
> branches and leaves.
> 	The root is simply a branch with no parent branch.
> 	A leaf is simply a branch with no child branch.
>
> Thus, we are mapping one set-of-sets onto another set-of-sets.

Kimbro Staken
The dbXML Project
http://www.dbxml.org