xml-general mailing list archives

From "Thomas B. Passin" <tpas...@mitretek.org>
Subject Re: Crimson: Bug when document begins with whitespaces?
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:16:57 GMT
[Vincent Faidherbe]

> When a parsed XML document begin with one or more whitespace(s), Crimson
> fails when it encounters the XML declaration  and it returns the
> message P-019 : "XML declaration may only begin entities". I've the
> problem with the RSS documents generated by 10.am.

This is correct behavior and no patch should be applied.  The XML Rec
requries that a document start with with a byte order mark (if it is
utf-16), the xml declaration, or the root element.  No leading whitespace is
allowed.

Should a processor be tolerant despite the Rec?  That's always a good
question.  Here I would say no.

Cheers,

Tom P