xml-general mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Standardizing build.xml files
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2001 04:00:39 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Jon Stevens wrote:
> >
> > Please join the alexandria project's mailing lists. Gump, Maveric, JJAR,
> > etc, are all trying to do this in one way or another.
>
> The Alexandria project with Gump, Maveric, et. al.
> are doing a great job of keeping all the builds working
> with each other.  It also helps with notifying projects
> of changes in the API.
>
> But there hasn't been any official documentation or requests
> for target naming conventions like I just proposed.  If everyone
> likes the approach, Ant should place the information in their
> manual (like gnumake does with its conventions)--and all project
> leaders should either make the modifications to the build
> files or propagate the information to the team (someone will do
> it).

The project definition files used to feed Gump and Maven are concrete
representations of the amount of unique information content required to
build that project.  The more standardized builds become, the smaller and
easier it becomes to maintain these project definitions.  If there was a
common place to find the build.xml, a common way to represent dependencies,
a common target, a common place into which outputs are placed, then my job
would be simpler.

I see Berin's proposal as the welcome next step in the process started by
Ceki in producing the following web page:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/dirlayout.html

- Sam Ruby