xml-general mailing list archives

From "Joseph Kesselman" <kesh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: xml-commons XML API and API evolution
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:51:44 GMT

>Suppose a version of Xalan
>supported DOM L2 and a newer version of Xerces came out that supported
>DOM L3 then there would need to be two versions of xml-apis.jar

Or, as you noted, copying the source code in at build time... but that
raises other issues; it means the order of Xalan/Xerces on the classpath
affects whether user code sees dom2 or dom3, which is not exactly obvious
at first glance.

Or, since DOM3 isn't a Recommendation yet, the dom-experimental package.

Or dom2.jar/dom3.jar; select the appropriate one.  Our whole problem is
that the bundled higher-level JARs don't deal well with evolution of
standard APIs; breaking those out as independent units has costs but does
have definite benefits.