xml-general mailing list archives

From David_N_Bert...@lotus.com
Subject Re: Parsing failures with '&'
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:11:16 GMT

No, there isn't.  '& ' may only be used as a markup delimiter.  You'll have
to pre-process the documents, or ask your client to generate XML and not
something which looks like XML but isn't really XML.  I would suggest the
later, since you'll be doing them a favor, although they may not know it
yet.

Dave

                      swallace@iFulfil

                      lment.com                To:      general@xml.apache.org

                                               cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/CAM/Lotus)

                      08/15/2001 02:46         Subject: Parsing failures with '&'

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to general

We have a situation where a client has the ampersand character in product
descriptions submitted to us in XML.  For a fictious example, assume
<description>M & M</description>.  The crimson parser fails with "Illegal
character or entity reference syntax".

Is there anyway around this problem short of writing a replacement script
before sending it to the parser?

Thanks in advance.

Scott