xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: XML help needed
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 22:40:32 GMT
---- you "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com> wrote ----
> This is the wrong forum for this type question.
> However, the right form of the URL would be file:///c:/test.xml.
> See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt

So, while I agree with Curt about this being the wrong forum, I'm going
to be silly and ask anyway - why can't it be <file:/c:/test.xml> ?

Never mind.  I was going to go on about looking at the updated RFC 2369
instead of 1738 but now I see 1738 does specifically talk about the
file: scheme.  But to nitpick: doesn't thier specification in 3.10 of:

"A file URL takes the form:

       file://<host>/<path>

... and <path> is a hierarchical

seem to be a little bit discordant with 2369's section 3.0 and 3.3?

Oh, never mind again.  They are the same.  Just trying to get
clarification so we can write more rigorous URL tests for Xalan and the
new xsltc module.

Brief rules:
-- the file: scheme, when referring to a file on the local machine
(i.e. you don't really care about the host) will always start with
"file:///", and then with an absolute path as defined by the local
environment.  I'm trying to figure out what this means for UNIX
systems, which would seem to have abs paths of "/usr/foo", which means
a URL thereon would be "file:////usr/foo", which seems to choke a lot
of programs.

- If you refer to another host somehow, it's
file://hostname.com/abs_path, or even file://localhost/abs_path, which
is a tad redudndant but theoretically valid.

- If you have a relative URL, you do not have the scheme in it.  Thus
"test.xml" and "foo/test.xml" are both legal relative URLs, that happen
to be legal relative UNIX pathnames.  Note that "foo\test.xml" is not
legal as URL's must always use forward / slashes.  Note also that I
don't think "/foo/test.xml" is a legal URL since the spec says it's too
confusing to start with a / character; you could either say (the wierd
case) "./foo/test.xml" or convert it to an absolute URL and say
"file:///foo/test.xml"

Of course for those in Java, I've heard that the native Java URL class
doesn't always follow the spec...

- Shane, addled from the heat, clearly!

=====
<eof aka="mailto:shane_curcuru@lotus.com"
 quote="Odo:   [You'd shoot a man in the back?]
        Garak: [Well, it's the safest way, isn't it?]"/>